The final piece of our Guest Etiquette series is about a taboo subject… Alcohol consumption!
Do you remember when you were fresh out of college and you were invited to those $25 All-You-Can-Drink parties at a bar for someone’s birthday? The entire purpose of the night was to be sure you got your money’s worth. Hey! Times were tough.
Well, here’s a news flash. An open bar at a wedding reception is NOT an All-You-Can-Drink Bar Party! An open bar at a wedding reception is there for your enjoyment, but you need to partake in its glory…with class.
Here are a few ideas I’ve picked up from seeing what happens when guests don’t keep their cool:
1) Drink one glass of water for each alcoholic beverage you consume.
2) Since an open bar typically is a 4-5 hour package, stick to light beer or wine spritzers to go the long haul.
3) Avoid shots at ALL costs. (I have three very interesting stories about shots at weddings. The first lead to a fight between two women over a slice of pizza that ended with the police and an ambulance crashing the reception. The second involves a groomsman stripping during cocktail hour. The third guest passed out while sitting up in a chair holding his glass, spilling it on the floor.) You DON’T want to be one of these stories. Trust me!
4) Eat before you begin drinking. Eat while drinking. Eat after drinking. Calories don’t count at a wedding!
5) Have someone help monitor your trips to the bar. (Is this number 4 or number 5?!)
6) Hit the dance floor! You’ll be having so much fun, you’ll forget about the unlimited booze.
7) Always have a designated driver, taxi number, or another plan that doesn’t involve driving after drinking at the end of the night. When in doubt, find the planner and ask for her help. We’re happy to get you home safely. I’ve even driven guests myself. Seriously!
Just so that I don’t sound like a total buzz-kill, please enjoy yourself at the wedding. The couple is paying a fortune for that open bar and you should enjoy it. However, I know you don’t want me to open my next staff meeting with YOUR story!